CHRISTINE NATION, INSPIRING FITNESS PRO!

Christine Nation - Fitness Pro
I was fortunate enough to meet Christine Nation through my work with the US Army Reserve. We both serve in the same unit. After talking a few times, we realized we have a lot in common and are both super passionate about fitness! So, I want everyone to get the opportunity to know her better! And if you live in her area, definitely look her up, if you are looking for a top-notch trainer!!
What is your background in fitness?
- When I joined the military 15 years ago, I knew I had to maintain a standard. However, for me, it was about exceeding the standard and proving that women could share common physical fitness ground with men. It was not about competing with men though, but just about being the best that I could be. I always enjoyed the looks on people's faces when they saw a petite, young looking female pass them on the track or hear about my PT score. I played soccer and ran cross-country in high school, so I already knew the benefits of feeling healthy and self-love through exercise.
 If you fast-forward though, to a deployment to Afghanistan 2009, I had a close friend, who took me under his wing and taught me everything that I know about lifting weights. I suffered from extreme sciatica, and lifting weights healed my body! I became a believer in the healing power of fitness and, as a result, an inner strength grew inside of me that is yet to be parallel by any other addiction or unhealthy lifestyle.
-What is your fitness philosophy?
- I believe in functional, holistic fitness. Diet and exercise have to be tightly connected in order for someone to reap the long-term benefits. For me, it's not about being at a target weight, it's about feeling energetic, having healthy relationships with food, slow progressions in strength, and just overall balance of mind, body, and spirit. My second philosophy, which is my life's mantra, is that we are all hear to spread love and to be a light to one another's lives. There is someone else who has it worse, and you never know when your smile is what they need to feel special.
- What makes you different than other professionals?
- I am different in so many ways! I always say that if a 4"11" woman can do it, than anyone can! I have been deployed 4 times and am an officer in the Army Reserves. I have seen and thrived in so many challenging/life-and-death situations that I know that I am strong enough for anything that life throws at me. As a trainer, I am also different because I care and I won't try to sell you on anything. I will tell you to go buy It Starts with Food and contact me in a month, when you are done reading it. If you are serious about training after the book, then I know you are serious about improving your life through health and fitness. I don't want to waste people's time or sell a fake hope. I believe in building relationships, so that people trust me. I need your trust to really change your life. I am going to make your life uncomfortable; I am going to give you lots of tough love; I am going to make you hate me and then love me, but I want to change your life. This is only possible if you trust me through the process. The majority of what I offer can't be bought or reproduced. I also just recently completed rehab for ACL reconstruction. That has grown me in ways I can't even explain. There were times when I didn't think I would walk correctly again or be able to work out. I wondered if my body was failing me. But guess what! Because I am fit, I am healing beautifully and as always, am coming out stronger!
- From all trends in fitness, current and past, which ones are a keeper and which ones are a no-go?
- Oh man, I don't like on step on toes in this department, but I will say that the big noes are the ones that do not require a change in lifestyle or healthy eating habits. If you have to buy it and don't have to workout or eat healthy, that's a red flag. I also don't believe in body slamming! I love strong is the new skinny! But what about the skinny girls! I don't believe there is a bad thing in trends, aside from ones that sell a false sense of success. If aerobics was the craze, and people loved it and it gave them joy to workout, then great! But with all fads, the question has to be are you becoming stronger and a healthier/happier person. The proper exercise plan will increase your strength, confidence, your serotonin and dopamine hormones, and give you the energy that you need to thrive during the day. If all that is happening, then what can be bad?
- What approach do you take when creating programs for a client?
- I look at a client's strengths and the things that they enjoy doing. I also typically utilize a fully body plan that uses cardio-esque exercises because the reality is that the typical client is very busy, with a family, and career and doesn't have the time to work separate muscle groups, nor are they planning on competing in a physique completion. They just want their sexy back.
- What do you tell clients that are so focused on losing weight they don't see the bigger picture?
- I tell them that they didn't gain the weight over night, and therefore they aren't going to loose it over night either. Period. No sugar coating. I also remind them that if they have done this before (which most people have tried losing weight but struggle to keep it off), they will repeat the ugly pattern of gaining it back if they don't make this process holistic. You can't eat crap and expect to work it off and then get gains. It doesn't work like that. I also tell them to put down the alcohol. If they aren't at their target weight, there is nothing to be celebrating about.
- Who are your fitness and personal role models and why?
- I go through seasons of following different fitness personalities. However, I am utterly in love with Mankofit, Massy Arias. Her tag is "Fitness saved my life." She is a champion of the modern feminist movement and shares how the gym brought her out of depression. She is transparent, a hard worker, and a Latina! I also love that while she does share her body as a trophy of her hard work, she does not do the whole "I sell sex" thing. That's a turn off for me. A lot of women go down that route and it's so unnecessary.
- Tell me one thing that you think is indispensable to live a fit and healthy lifestyle.
- You have to believe that you are worth it! You have to believe the effects of your hard work. It has to be deep and not for the scale or for bathing suit season.

Best in Health,
Christine

Christine Andreu
Personal Trainer
Educator/Editor in Chief
L.A. STYLE Luxury Lifestyle Magazine
L.A. STYLE House, LLC
c. 213.713.3327
http://www.lastylemagazine.com

Keep your dreams alive. Understand - to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.

Comments

Popular Posts